Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

My Top Ten Favorite George Brett Cards from 1975-1979

I have not let it be a secret that 1975 is my favorite Topps set.  I might be a little bias because it is George Brett's rookie year, but I like the design more than anything.  The two-tone color background was drastically different than anything before it or after for quite a while.  There are other things that stand out about this set that makes it one of the more collected sets, but you can go to baseballcardpedia.com to see that and other great resources about different sets.

Several of my favorite cards come from this era of Brett's career.  You can see all the cards from 1975 to 1979 here at the 1975-1979 page of "The Unofficial George Brett Card Catalog"  My top ten lists, unless otherwise stated, are limited to cards that I currently own.  The lists are strictly base on my opinion.  Cards might be listed because they have some memorable back story, cool design, or something that simply sticks out, too me, about them.  Feel free to comment, I love talking to other collectors.

My Top Ten Favorite George Brett Cards from 1975-1979

10. 1978 Kellogg's #6


It really could have been a tossup between this one or the 1979 Kellogg's.  It's funny how times has changed,  Back in the 70's it was cool to have a cheek full of chaw.  Not any more.  It is a good reason why they stopped, but I still can't see how anyone thought this was a cool, manly look.  At the same time, I can't see why the leisure suit was ever fashionable either.








9. 1975 Topps #228 
I bet this isn't a surprise that it's on the list, but a surprise why it is so low.  The answer is simple and will be understood as the top ten unfolds.  I have 3 of these cards.  This one is in very good condition, but terribly off centered.  The second one has a crease and the third is in absolutely terrible condition.  I have a long term goal to have one that would qualify for a grade 8 or higher, but that will be unlikely ever to happen.







8.  1976 SSPC #589 
Certain cards just make me laugh.  This is one of those cards for 2 reasons.  1st, what a face!  At least George looks like he is having a good time.  The second is Al Cowens name is spelled wrong.  Makes it a classic.







7. 1979 Topps Comics #9
I know...Not technically a card.  This makes it one of the reasons I like it.  Anything that goes away from the standard cardstock, rectangular style of cards, I'm into it.  Also I find it funny, that even though this is a cartoon drawing, they still added the chaw in his cheek.  









6. 1977 Hostess Twinkies #36 
Surprisingly, It took me a while before I found out about this card.  I learned about it after joining "The Trading Card Database". Side Note, if you are into trading cards of any type, I strongly recommend this site.  This card is similar to the regular hostess except for the back.  It has a black line that symbolizes that it came from individually wrapped Twinkies. Much harder to find, which makes them more valuable.  I got very luck on this one.  For some reason I ask the seller, who listed it as a standard Hostess, to send me a scan of the back  Low and behold, it was a Twinkie card.  It was mine shortly after that.





5. 1978 SSPC #217
Half way done.  I have the full team set of these card.  Sorry George, you can't pull off the wide collar look.  I am still trying to figure out why he is wearing a collared shirt under his uniform.  One of my favorites because I do have the full set and the patience I had to wait to get it.  This set actually has a pre-rookie Willie Wilson in it,  You can see the full set here








4. 1975 Topps Mini #228
If you are still wondering why was #9 so high on the list, here is one reason why.  I like the mini card better.  According to Baseballcardpedia.com this was the only year that Topps produced a mini card, until 1987, I believe.  It was also only sent to a few test market locations.  Luckily this one is mine.









3. 1977 Burger Chef Discs #71

I decided to put both the front and back of this card.  The back is what I really like and actually it is the backs of the whole set that make this card so high.  The front is not very exciting, but the backs have several different cartoon drawings that are just funny and fun to look at.

2. 1977 Topps Cloth Stickers #7
The cloth sticker card is one of my favorites and one of my most collected cards.  I have several of these.  If you read my variations top ten you would see that there are two different variations.  You can go to my website and see both of them.










Honorable Mentions 

1977 Chilly Willie Discs #7
Mainly because it is fun to say Chilly Willie.













1977 O-Pee-Chee #170
Very similar to the Topps Cloth Sticker card.













1. 1975 O-Pee-Chee #228
Again shouldn't be a surprise that Brett's rookie is my top card.  This OPC card was my top card in my top ten overall all cards.  as I said on that top ten, "Not only is it a rookie card with the classic green and purple background('75 is my favorite Topps set), not only is it an OPC with the white card stock, not only is half of it in French, but also it is a pretty rare card and I still feel lucky to have it in my collection." I still feel that way today, except that I would change one word.  I would switch the word luck, to the word blessed.  More about that later.  For now it is late and this guy is ready for bed.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment