Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Happy 1 Year Anniversary...well, almost...Top Ten Leap Year Cards!

HAPPY 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY GBCARDGUY!!!

Well almost.  The technical launch day anniversary date is March 1st, but...It's Leap Year.  So in light of having to wait one more day for the anniversary I decided to do a top ten George Brett cards that were released on leap years.  These will be in chronological order.   The front and back of all of the cards and almost 1000 other George Brett cards can be seen on my website "The Unofficial George Brett Card Catalog".  My top ten lists, unless otherwise stated, are limited to cards that I currently own.  The lists are strictly base on my opinion.  Cards might be listed because they have some memorable back story, cool design, or something that simply sticks out, too me, about them.  Feel free to comment, I love talking to other collectors. 

1976 SSPC #589 with Al Cowens Checklist
One of George's funniest cards in my opinion.  Not only funny because of Brett's face, but Al Cowen's last name is also misspelled.  I'm sure that this was one of his highlights.








1980 O-Pee-Chee #235 
This card was hard to come by.  I lost at least 3 ebay auctions over a year's span trying to get one of these cards.  Finally, out of frustration I ordered one at a price way higher than I should have pad for it.  A week later I won one on an auction at a fraction of the price that I just spent.  This was a good lesson to me.  If I lose an auction on a card, there is a good chance that another one will show up sooner or later.







1984 All-Star Game Program Inserts #120
Not your typical baseball card.  These cards sized at 1 1/4" x 2", so they are very small.  These came in the All-Star Game program in a panel and were cut into cards.  I like the back designs of these.  










1988 Royals Smokey the Bear #20
This is one of the easier decisions of this list.  If you have read my all time Top Ten George Brett Card List this shouldn't be a surprise.  I love this entire set.  It makes me smile when I see them.       











1992 The Baseball Enquirer  #25
I wasn't going to put this card on this list.  This was a card that I kinda had in my collection because it just another card.  I was just now going through all  my 1992 cards and saw the back of this card for the first time.  There is a short Q&A session with George Brett and, I would guess, some reporter.  George was known for his quips and this Q&A made me (literally) laugh out loud.  I recommend going to my site and seeing the back.







1996...If you were doing the math, you are probably saying, "Wouldn't there be 11 leap years since 1976?"  Well unfortunately, I do not have a 1996 card.  As far as I can tell, there wasn't a Brett card made in 1996.

2000 Fleer Club 3000 #GB 
If this was a regular century mark, there would not be a leap year, but since it was a millennium...science says there's also a leap year.  There something about die-cut cards that I really like.  Something about not being the traditional rectangular, sharp cornered cards that intrigues me. 






2004 Leather & Lumber Hall of Fame #3
This card is one of the newest cards added to the database.  I have really turned my attention to this era of cards from 2002 to 2005.  There are a lot of interesting cards from this era.  I have picked up several serial numbered cards here recently.  This one is numbered 1683 of 1999.  








2008 Topps Triple Threads #53
This is another recent entry, entered in December.  I only had 2 2008 cards to choose from.  Tough decision.  Had to go with the Topps though.  I like the design and it's also a serialized card.  The Triple Threads cards are fun to collect.









2012 Topps Archives Cloth Stickers #GB
This is starting in the era when I got re-started collecting again.  My #4 card on my all time Brett card list is the 1977 Topps Cloth Sticker card. This is a remake of it.  Like the 1980 OPC card, I learned a very valuable lesson about this card.  That lesson was: when a brand new card comes out...don't try to buy it right away.  Wait a week or even a month, The price will probably drop a little.  I decided to get in a biding war with another buyer and won, but spent way too much money.  Oh well.  






2016 Topps - Berger's Best #BB-24
Up to the present, Finally! Against siting my All Time Top Ten Card list, the 1975 Topps/OPC card is my favorite all-time card.  Every time they come out with a remake, I try to add it to my collection.  This set is a nice tribute to Sy Berger, one of Topps original card designers.










Well, year 2 is shaping up to be another great year.  I do not know where God will lead me, but I'm ready for the ride.  But for now, it's late and this guy is ready for bed.  Good night!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment