Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Wednesday Top Ten - Variation Cards

It is that time again.  It's Wednesday and it's time for another top ten list.  My top ten lists will mainly be based on George Brett cards, but they might be different players cards or if something else catches my fancy I might do that.  My top ten lists, unless otherwise stated, are limited to cards that I currently own, and front and back scans can be seen at georgebrettcards.weebly.com. The lists are strictly base on my opinion.  Cards might be listed because they have some memorable back story, cool design, or something that simply sticks out about them.  Feel free to comment, I love talking to other collectors.

Today's subject is variation cards.  These are something that I came upon about a year ago.  First I need to define what I determine as a variation card.  My definition is - Any card that has a minor visual difference that was intended or unintended by the singular manufacturer, excluding error/correction, inserts or related sets. I am not a professional collector, not even close, so I am sure that other collectors will have a difference of opinion.  All cards pictured below can be seen at georgebrettcards.weebly.com

Let me give an example of a couple, in my opinion, non-variation cards.

1.     Topps & O-Pee-Chee Cards - Not a variation, because (even though the same picture) technically 2 different companies

2.      Product Brand Cards - Not a variation, because they are usually have its own related set & numbering system.


3.      Different Border/Color Cards/Additional Print - Not a variation, because it has its own related sets

Now on to the Top Ten

GBCardGuy's Top Ten Variation George Brett Baseball Cards

10. What happened to the old printer? - 1991 Fleer #552

According to Baseballcardpedia.com, Some believe these were caused by Fleer's use of two different printers. These cards contain minor cropping, locations of the stat lines, missing dots, amount of white on back.

9. Wax Pack Vs. Complete Set - 1987 Donruss #54 & 1988 Donruss #102
In 1987 & 1988 Donruss did a separate design for the wax packs and the complete sets to distinguish them.  In 1987 they did a reverse back and in 1988 they did a reverse border.

8. Umm...We ran out if paper! - 1981 O-Pee-Chee #113 & 1980 Topps Super #14


Sometimes different color cardstock are used during different printings.  The story I found about the 1981 OPC is that they ran out of white cardstock and used gray on the last printing.

7. Who doesn't love stickers? - 1988 & 1989 Topps/O-Pee-Chee Stickers 
In 1988 & 1989 Topps and OPC turn the sticker cards 2 cards in 1.  But not all of the sticker backs and stickers were the same.  There are over 40 known variations of the George Brett stickers.  Check out georgebrettcards.weebly.com to see several variations of these.

6. Dot the Border! - 1990 Donruss #144
Lets face the facts.  Many of the variation cards are Donruss cards.  Which is probably one of the only reason why I spend a lot of time researching them.  The 1990 base set has up to 2 or 3 known dotted borders.

5. Let make a consensus.  Is it inc or inc.? - Donruss 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992
I can understand that someone had a hard time making a decision, but for 4 years straight.  Both inc and inc. were used each year.  Talk about your indecision, but Donruss is not done yet.

Bonus!!! How do we Denote...*Denotes* - 1989 Donruss #204 & Bonus MVP #BC7
In 1989 not only could they not decide whether they wanted to use inc. or inc, but also how to denote...denotes.  So for both the base card and the MVP there are 4 different variations.

4. Umm...We ran out of black ink - 1976 Hostess #114, 1981 Ted Watts Postcards, 1987 Action Allstars #11
Sometimes you start a project and half way through you realize that you don't have enough supplies. Ink is one of those particular items.  I am not totally sure why some have black ink and some have brown, but it makes the hunt that much more fun.  The Ted Watts also has a black & brown variation.  The Action allstars has a black & blue variation.  The blue is super rare.

3. Are the Stars Out Tonight - 1977 Topps Cloth Stickers #7, 1992 Topps Kids #105, 1992 Topps McDonald's #6
These cards are denoted with one or two stars on the back.  
Bonus!! Now I know my CDEFs - 1992 Stadium Club #150 & #609
Just like the cards before, these cards are noted with different letters.

2. Just because I'm the only card in a set, doesn't mean there is not 2 of me! - 1982 Brett Spotbilt #5
This card is the only one made in this set.  The difference is that the back on the left ends in a 1980 stat line and the card on the right ends on a 1981 stat line.

1. Copyright, we don't need no stinkin' copyright! - 1987 Sportflics #5, #114, #197

In the 1987 Sportflics they did different copyright numbers and some card variations didn't didn't even put a copyright on it at all.  The card on the far right is listed on one website for $100.  I didn't pay anywhere close to that.    

This top ten list ended spilling over into Thursday, but it was fun to do. Do you agree with my top ten? Let me know your favorite cards are and it doesn’t have to be limited to George Brett.  Please comment below and I will respond. 

I have two choices for my next Top Ten list, which will probably be out next Wednesday.

Choice 1: Top Ten Topps George Brett Cards
Choice 2: Top Ten Bo Jackson Cards

or...Something else

Thanks for checking out my blog. This Guy is ready for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment