Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Friday, April 8, 2016

Post 17, Where Are You?

So it's been almost a month since I last blogged.  I really wanted to do blogs 3 times a month, but things happen.  So what has been so important in the life of GBCardGuy that I can't take an hour out of my busy life to blog. The answer...nothing...but don't think that my life has not been busy.  It has...at least busy enough for me to put my internet social life on hold for a little bit.  Saying that, I want to let you into my life a little bit and tell you how God has been active in the past month.

In the real world of GBCardGuy, I separate my life into three distinct categories: Family, Church, Employment.  All 3 categories are branches from a bigger tree that is called "Christ Follower".  To say that I have always been a stellar example of Christ in these three categories of my life would be very false.  I allow frustration and circumstances that are out of my control to dictate my mood, much of time.  Its funny when I say that, because when I let God lead, all of the circumstances are out of my control and strictly in His control.  It is usually when I try to take the control back that my frustration kicks in.

So what has been going on in the family life of GBCardGuy?  My wife and I have decided that we are tired of being Big Daddy and Big Mama and would like to be a much slimmer form of our present selves.  I have always been a larger man.  About 6 years ago, my wife and I went on a trip to D.C. and I knew that we were going to do a ton of walking, so I went on a major diet and started to walk/run on a fairly regular basis.  I called it the "Don't Be Dumb Diet", because everything that I did before that was dumb.  I was really faithful to it for almost a full year, and lost around 85 lbs.  At my lightest, I weighted less then I did my freshman year of high school.  After I lost all of that weight, I found out being dumb was way easier then not being dumb and sadly I am back at the weight I was before.  So I am starting the process again, but this time my wife is doing it with me and hopefully we can keep each other accountable.  Also we upgraded vehicles.  Car shopping is something that I try to avoid.  I know some people love it, but not me.  I have only had to do it twice in my adult life.  I own a 1998 Ford Ranger pickup that my dad gave me when I got out of college.  Well a truer statement would be, he had me take over the payments.  It is still running pretty well, but its starting to show its age.  I am dreading the day that it finally dies.  We try to be very financially savvy with our money and we know that a car payment is not very feasible for our budget.  3 years ago we traded my wife's(the family) car, which was completely dead and got a 1997 Ford Explorer.  I know...it was new when I graduated high school, but I digress.  Well it finally made its last family trip and we upgraded to something in the 2000.  2007 to be exact.  We had been blessed with the ability to pay cash and so far we are very pleased with the new member of our family.  My kids were so excited because we "let them" have a say in which vehicle we got.

My Church life is also very busy.  I alternate every month in being the music leader at my church, which I am enjoying.  I love the men and women that I have the privilege of worshiping with and making music with on a weekly basis.  Especially the hand and auxiliary percussion player(a.k.a. Big "soon to be slimmer" Mama), she's pretty hot if I say so myself.  I have also entered into the elder mentoring process at my church.  Me and another gentleman are meeting regularly with the elders of the church, studying a book and doing a workbook on biblical eldership.  I am not a sit down and read type of guy.  I don't get lost in good books easily.   I have enjoyed studying this series, but reading to me is a chore.  I think that God puts things in our path that we know are important, but we also know to get His desired outcome we have to do things, that normally in our flesh, we don't necessarily enjoy.  It is a purification process.  Are we willing to submit to Him to achieve His purposes?

My work life is probably where it has been the craziest.  I work for a small mom & pop music store.  After working there for 14 years I have been given a new title.  I am now the Sale Manager.  What does that mean?  Apparently more work and responsibilities.  :-)  I am enjoying my new title.  I am approaching this title of management in the same way that I am approaching the job of elder at the church.  An elder is an overseer, teacher, protector, and mentor and in my mind that is what a manager is suppose to be too.  I know that the two promotions in the work force and at the church, coming pretty much at the same time, was not a coincidence.  I stop believing in coincidences many years ago.  Gods timing is perfect.  Well in the last 3 weeks we have had one of the people that I manage quit and we are currently looking for a new employee and I have been very active in the interview process.  I feel honored that my boss has the confidence in me to be involve in this big decision.  But saying that, because of all of the excitement of the last couple weeks I really have not had the time to focus on the Ebay sales and in that area of my employment I feel very behind.  The problem is, when that area of the store gets untouched it starts to pile up, overflow and disrupt the flow of the entire backroom.  I am praying that God brings not only the right person, but quickly too.

Rarely have I seen, while in the present, parallelisms between what God is doing in my work life and church life.  While I try to be the same guy in both, I tried keep them separate.   God is showing me more and more that He is the same God while I am at both church and work and I should be a the same follower for Him at both places too.

Well that is a small look at the current "what's going on" in the life of GBCardGuy.  You might have noticed that "The Unofficial George Brett Card Database"  was not listed as one of my branches.  That's because as I said in my first post, when there is time and money left, I am a collector.  Saying that, I have recently updated the website with some new cards and have some more new cards coming that I will be uploading in the next couple of days.  One of which, just arrived today all the way from South Korea.  I really should look where certain cards are coming from before I order them.  Also, I eluded to a Top Ten in my last post about being content.  I haven't forgot about it and I am hoping to get it out in the next couple of days,  But for now it is late and this guy is ready for bed.  Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment