Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Top Ten George Brett Cards GBCardGuy is Content About Not Being in the Database

There comes a time in every card collectors life when they come to the realization that there are going to be certain cards that will never be in their collection.  You can have two reactions to this.  One, be whiny and complain that someone has something you don't.  Two, say "oh well" and move on to the next card.  There are several cards that I have come to that realization that will never be in "The Unofficial George Brett Card Database", ultimately because they will most likely never be in my possession.  I know that I should never say never, but as you can see with the following top ten list, you might understand why.  Usually My top ten lists, unless otherwise stated, are limited to cards that I currently own.  This top ten list falls under the "unless otherwise stated" category.  The lists are strictly base on my opinion.  Cards might be listed because they have some memorable back story, cool design, or something that simply sticks out, too me, about them.  Feel free to comment, I love talking to other collectors.

Top Ten George Brett Cards GBCardGuy is Content About Not Being in the Database

Honorable Mention: Any One of a Kind Cards
I typically do not start with an honorable mention, but this is not a typical top ten list.  My funds for purchasing cards is very limited.  I do not have hundreds to thousands of dollars to spend, and if I did I am sure that my wife would find better thing to spend that money on than George Brett cards.  Cards that would fall into this category would be any cards that only one or very few cards were printed in that series or was a printing plate of a series of cards.  Most of the times these cards are made for someone in particular or an event, and were mostly produced after 2000.  This top ten is going to be, for the most part,limited to cards that were produced while George Brett was an active player.

10. 1995 Tombstone Pizza Autograph #AU2
Rare-George-Brett-1995-Tombstone-Pizza-Autograph-Kansas-City-Royals-AUTO-HOF
(photo courtesy of ebay)
Technically not from his playing days, but pretty close.  When I first started re-collecting George Brett I saw one of these on auction on ebay and I told myself that I will see it again, but never have until recently.  From what I understand, there were about 2000 of these made.  I am really surprised with the quantity that were made that this card doesn't show up for auction more frequently.  There is one currently on ebay for $59.99, if anyone wants to buy it for me.







9. 1993 Topps Finest Refactor #63
(photo courtesy of ebay)
According to http://baseballcardpedia.com/ there were approximately 241 of this card made.  Although not the rarest on this list, they sell close to $200 on ebay, ungraded.











8. 1984 & 1991 Topps Gallery of Champions  

George-Brett-1991-Topps-Gallery-of-Champions-Bronze-Kansas-City-Royals
(photo courtesy of ebay)
(photo courtesy of ebay)
From what I understand, these where produced as a box set with a total of 12 "cards".  They are actually quite small. and made out of precious metals. The 1984 Topps made 2 different series, one being made out of bronze and the other sterling silver. In 1991 3 series were made out of aluminum, bronze, and sterling silver.  I have a 1986 Bret Saberhagen aluminum one.





7. 1990 Donruss Aqueson Test #144

One of the most treasured for the most serious of collectors.  I could not even find a picture of one online.  I have been told that there are only 2 or 3 of these in circulation.  I might be wrong about that. One sold on Ebay 5 years ago for over $3500.










6. 1982 FBI Discs #3
(courtesy of psacard.com)
These have nothing to do with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, but it was apparently a soft drink company.  I have only seen one sell on Ebay and I believe it sold for well over $200.







5. Topps Blackless Error Cards
(photo courtesy of ebay)
baseballcardpedia.com states that sheets of the 1982 Topps card were accidentally printed without any black ink.  They are very rare.  3 of the 4 1982 Brett cards have this variation.  There is apparently also a Blueless variation too.










4. 1981 Donruss Test Issue Panel
(photo courtesy of ebay)
This is a three panel set.  There is a mini, regular, and jumbo set of each.  About the only thing of Donruss worth collecting.  Sorry, that might have been a little harsh.








3. 1980 Topps Pepsi
(photo courtesy of thetoppsvault.com)
This is a panel that Topps put up for auction several years ago.  The individual Topps Pepsi cards that I have seen on ebay are not nearly this nice.  Some of these cards from this set have made it out into the general population, but no one is certain if the George Brett card did.



2.  1977 Venezuelan League Stickers #162
(photo courtesy of ebay)
So apparently something that was made in Venezuela is hard to find in the USA.   Normally the stickers for these sets focused mainly on players in Venezuela, but in 1977 they did a small run of about 50 MLB players using the 1977 Topps design.  Most of these that one would find are in terrible condition, but they are so rare that it hardly matters.









Honorable Mention: Any Vault Cards
Every year Topps will sell some of their old, original card scans.  Whether it is a negative of the original card or the original scan that the card was based off.  Most of the time its way out of my price range and only the serious collectors pick them up.

Honorable Mention:Graded 10 cards
I have not bought any graded cards yet.  If I do, I would probably only go after cards that would receive a grade of 10, but it is very low on my priority list.  I almost bought one last year, but stopped myself.  I could not bring myself to spend $10 on a card that would normal sell for less than a quarter if it was ungraded.

1.  1974 &1975 Royals Team Issued Post Cards 
(courtesy of imageevent.com/)
These pop up every once and awhile on ebay and the bid always goes very high.  Would it be nice to have, yes.  Is it worth going broke over, absolutely not.











Like I said before.   I should never say never, but it can be safe to say that these cards will most likely never be in my possession and I am ok with that.  That being said, if anyone out there that is reading this top ten and owns one of these cards and wants to give up their ownership to me as a early birthday gift.  I wouldn't say no.  But anyway, it is getting late and this guy is ready for bed.  Good night.

4 comments:

  1. I have the tombstone card. Can't find it for sale anywhere, so I'm guessing most like the one I own were thrown away after someone enjoyed their pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the tombstone card. Can't find it for sale anywhere, so I'm guessing most like the one I own were thrown away after someone enjoyed their pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have the tombstone card in excellent condition. Wanna talk about a sale? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are actually 3 different variations of the tombstone card, 1 with #/2000 on the back, 1 with #/2000 on front and a blank (none numbered card)

    ReplyDelete