Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My First Post


Hello I'm GBCardGuy,
Who am I? Good question.  First off I'm just a guy, but more importantly I am a husband, father, employee & when there is time and money left, finally a card collector.  Collecting cards for me is strictly a hobby, no matter what my wife thinks. ;-)  Collecting cards started for me in the 4th grade.  Every year in school we did a gift exchange at Christmas.  That year I got four packs of Fleer basketball cards.  After that I was hooked.  I had chosen one player from each of the 3 major sports(baseball, basketball, and football; sorry hockey) to be my favorite. Football was Randall Cunningham, basketball was Magic Johnson, and baseball was George Brett.  When I was in the fifth grade I wrote each of these players a letter saying how they were my favorite player in their sport, and I only got one response.  I bet you can guess who it was.  Looking back, I know now that it was probably some standard letter that was sent out and the autograph picture probably wasn't signed directly by George Brett, but to a fifth grade boy it was huge! George Brett had secured himself as my all-time favorite player in any sport.  I started doing all I could to collect his cards.  It wasn't much since I was 10, had no money, and only had access to packs that our grocery store sold, but over the next year I had a small collection.  Maybe 15 to 20 cards.  Then something happened.  They disappeared. I have no clue what happened to them.  I was devastated and that stopped my collecting of cards.

Fast forward twenty years, I had a little extra money that I could spend on myself and I decided to buy a George Brett rookie card and that started the fire all over again.  Now five year later, I feel that I have a very good George Brett collection.  Not by any means complete, but still good.  I also collect other KC Royals players from the mid-to-late 80s and early 90s.

Blogging is very new to me so hopefully it won't be boring.  You can follow me on twitter @gbcardguy and like my facebook page at facebook.com/gbcardguy. Also check out my website "The Unofficial George Brett Card Catalog" where I not only base, insert and oddball cards, but I also show panels and variation. Every card pictured I personally own.  Hope to be back soon.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment