Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Wednesday Top Ten - My Favorite George Brett Cards

It's Wednesday, so it's time for my first Top Ten list.  My top ten lists will mainly be based on George Brett cards, but they might be different players cards or if something else catches my fancy I might do that.

Today for my first Top Ten list I am going big. My top ten lists, unless otherwise stated, are limited to cards that I currently own, and front and back scans can be seen at georgebrettcards.weebly.com. The lists are strictly base on my opinion.  Cards might be listed because they have some memorable back story, cool design, or something that simply sticks out about them.  Feel free to comment, I love talking to other collectors.

GBCardGuy's Top Ten Favorite George Brett Baseball Cards

10.  1990 Topps Wax Box Cards #B 
I'm breaking a rule right away.  This specific card can not be found on my website georgebrettcards.weebly.com.  I do have a scan of another one of these cards.  This card is in super poor condition as you can plainly see.  When I re-started collecting George Brett cards (see my first post for more info on this) I found this in a box of cards from my childhood.  I would have hand cut this card when I was in 6th grade.  I remember looking for these boxes hoping to see only one or two packs of cards left so the store clerk would let me have the box. I am pretty nostalgic.



9. 2003 Fleer Fall Classics Pennant Aggression #20  (s/n 0190/1985)
Over 80% of my collection is from when Brett was an active player.  But I have started to turn my focus to post retirement cards.  I really like this one, because it is not your standard rectangular shape.  I am pretty patient waiting for certain cards to appear at a price I am willing to pay for them, but this card I had to get when I first saw it.  It didn't take too long to get it added to my collection.






8. 1989 Topps Baseball Talk/LJN #52 
I don't remember to many Christmas gifts that I got as a kid, except for 1989.  I got a complete set of 1989 Topps, and still have them.  I remember seeing the talking sets in stores and begging my parents to buy them for me.  It never happened, but once I started collecting again, this was on my immediate must have list.  Part of me wants to pick up the player, just to hear what it has to say.






7. 1984-89 O'Connell and Son Ink #13
This is a recent addition.  I am not totally sure why I like this card, but I do.  Knowing that these were hand drawn, originally just adds a cool factor to them.  There is a black and white variation of this card that I'm watch on eBay.  Maybe on day they'll drop their price.








6. 1977 Burger Chef Fun Meal Discs #71
Another recent addition to the collection.  I have several of the 1977 disc cards, but this set is different.  I like the back of this set of cards.  You can go to georgebrettcards.weebly.com to see the back of this particular card, but if you click here you can see more of the backs from this set.

5. 1983 Royals Police #2
I have this complete set.  Very similar to the 1981 version, but the backs are different.  Some day the 1981 set will be mine too.  I don't collect team sets, with the exception of sets that are exclusively made for the Royal.  I have many of those.







4. 1977 Topps Cloth Stickers #7
I have several of these particular cards, when they show up cheap on eBay,I have to pick-up them up.  Little known fact is that there is 2 different variations of this card.  You can see the two different variations at georgebrettcards.weebly.com.







3. 1986 O-Pee-Chee Box Bottoms #C
This card makes me cry a little on the inside.  First off, out of all the Topps sets that I am familiar with, the 1986 is my second favorite set as far as design.  You'll see my favorite shortly.  I stumbled upon someone that was selling several panels of the 1986 O-Pee-Chee Box Bottoms, and couldn't past up the deal.  At that time I was not collecting panels, so I cut the other cards off and sold them.  Now looking back, I wished that I would have left them alone.  It is so hard to find this as a full 4-card panel.  I have learned my lesson. Maybe some day I'll stumble upon another one.

2. 1988 Royals Smokey the Bear #20 
My favorite team set specifically made for the Royals.  Click here to see the entire set.  I can see how you can not look at this set and not smile.  As you will so find out, I like things that are silly and make me laugh.  This set was a must have when I first saw it.








Honorable Mentions 

2003 Topps Record Breakers #GB Series 2 
1991 Score #853
1990 Sports Illustrated for Kids I #162



1. 1975 O-Pee-Chee #228
This one shouldn't be a surprise. Not only is it a rookie card with the classic green and purple background('75 is my favorite Topps set), not only is it an OPC with the white card stock, not only is half of it in French, but also it is a pretty rare card and I still feel lucky to have it in my collection.








Do you agree with my top ten? Let me know your favorite cards are and it doesn’t have to be limited to George Brett.  Please comment below and I will respond.

I have two choices for my next Top Ten list, which will probably be in two weeks since I will be on vacation next week.  Comment below which you would like to see.

Choice 1: Top Ten Topps George Brett Cards
Choice 2: Top Ten Variation George Brett Cards

or...Something else

Thanks for checking out my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment