Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

It's Here!!!! and, oh yeah, Merry Christmas

It's finally here.  I tweeted it out yesterday, but wasn't able to blog about it.  Without further ado the card that I am most likely ending 2015 on is...















Drum roll please....













1990 Topps #60











Just Kidding!!
1990 Score McDonald's #19


This is one of the rarer George Brett cards produced during his playing career.  This is what www.baseballcardpedia.com/ says about this set:

"1990 Score McDonald's is a 25-card set distributed at only eleven McDonald's restaurants in rural Idaho and Oregon during a three-week period in the Spring of 1990. In addition to the 25 player cards, fifteen "Magic Motion" World Series Trivia cards were also produced. Collectors who purchased an order of french fries and a soft drink would receive a free pack of four cards. The back of the packs mention a contest to the 1990 World Series which suggests that the set might have been intended for distribution on a larger scale.

The front has color action player photos, with white and yellow borders on a royal blue card face that fades as one moves toward the middle of the card. The upper left corner of the picture is cut off to allow space for the McDonald's logo; the player's name and team logo at the bottom round out the card face. The backs have color mugshots, biography, statistics, and career summary.

Because of the extremely very limited distribution, this is one of the toughest food issues of the era. The rarity combined with the blue borders make high grade cards extremely valuable."

It is one that I have had my eyes on since I started collecting and it is finally in my collection.  You can go to "The Unofficial George Brett Card Catalog" and check it out with another rare card to end the year off.  So as the first year of this blog and the tale of the first year as GBCardGuy comes to a close, I would be remiss if I didn't share a couple highlighted cards that I picked up this year.  

1977 Burger Chef Discs #71

I love these 70's food disc cards.

1983 All-Star Game Program Inserts #30
 
With this small card, I now have the complete set George Brett All-Star Game Program Inserts. ('81-'86)

1981 Royals Police #2
 
Same as before, but with this oversized card, I now have the complete set George Brett Royals Police Cards. ('81, '83, '91-'94) 

1983 Perma-Graphic All-Stars Gold #1
Only one card left in this set to complete.  (*Spoiler*) This will be one of my goals for 2016.

1986 O-Pee-Chee Box Bottoms Full Panel
If I would have been smarter a couple of years ago, I wouldn't of had to rebuy this panel.  But collecting is a learning process.

1987 Sportflics #5 George Brett  (1987 Copyright)
This was a hard variation card to track down.

2002 Topps American Pie Sluggers Gold #19
I believe I have the complete color set of this card Gold, Red, Blue, & Silver.

2015 Topps Gypsy Queen #326

I think the Gypsy Queen set is pretty cool, I have collect quite a bit of this actual set.

This is just a small sample of the over 100 cards that I collected 2016 and an even smaller sample of the nearly 1000 cards posted on "The Unofficial George Brett Card Catalog".  Who knows what 2016 will hold. 

On a final note, I want to wish everyone that reads this a belated "Merry Christmas".  I know for many people that phrase has lost its meaning and it might not be the "PC" thing to say, but that is what this guy says.  

I am planning on one last blog in 2015 to say a few thank yous and to set some goals for 2016. But until then, it's late and this guy is ready for bed.  Good Night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment