Just a guy and his thoughts about his cards, his website and life.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Random & Reflection #6

How many people can say the can remember what they were doing 13 years ago today.  I can!  I woke up next to my wife and told her “I love you.”  You see, it was the first morning of our marriage.  That first morning our marriage was new, exciting, and full of anticipation.  13 years later, my wife and I have laughed together, cried together, argued together, had 2 beautiful kids together, and lived life together.  After 13 years the words “I love you” does not mean the same as they did that first morning.  Those 3 little words mean way more now, because I choose to love my wife through thick and thin, and every little thing that she does that get under skin, and I am so blessed that she does the same for me.  I would like to say a very happy anniversary to my very beautiful wife.  13 for most people is an unlucky number, but to me it’s a reminder how God has blessed me by bringing us together.  She puts up with me, way more than I have to put up with her.  Now that I am done with all of the sappiness and this very long intro, how about some R&R

The Random

1987 SportFlics Exclusive Collector’s Offer

 

To some this might not be technically a card.  The cards stock is quite a bit thinner than normal cards and this was meant to be mailed off to get a special card.  Reading the back it appears that there were 2 cards that were shipped out as part of this offer.  The 4.5” Superstar card, which I have, and a Cooperstown card, which I cannot find any info on.  I see in 1989 they made a set of Cooperstown card, but…oh well, Sportsflics is still one of my favorite brands of cards.   

The Reflection

Psalms 121:7-8 (HCSB)
The Lord will protect you from all harm; He will protect your life. The Lord will protect your coming and going both now and forever.

Do you remember in "Finding Nemo" after Marlin said “I promised that I would never let anything happen to Nemo,” Dory says, “Hmm…That’s a funny thing to promise.”  Marlin meant that he would never let anything bad happen, but because of that he never let Nemo do anything.  We as parents do the same thing.  We can’t make this promise to our Children because we have limited control over certain aspect of their life, and really no control with the life circumstances and other people that surround them.  So the question is if we as parent cannot protect our children, and I will also say ourselves, from all harm, can God?

If we read these 2 verses by themselves and do not put any context with it we are too believe God will protect us from everything that can and will harm us.  We can go where ever we please and we will have this little protection bubble that surrounds us.  I don’t know about you, but I see or feel no bubble.  This chapter of Psalms starts with “I lift my eyes toward the mountains. Where will my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”  These verses are a call for people to seek God and understand that He is their help, Stop relying on anything else to protect you, especially yourself.  Reading this chapter I see 3 great reasons why God is a better protector than I would ever be.  First, he made the world and understands what truly going on…he sees the big picture and we usually only see a small sliver of what’s really going.  Second, God does not need to rest.  I get tired easily.  I love naps.  In fact I hope to take one later today.  God doesn’t need a nap, He is always watching where His children are going and there is no hiding from Him.  Third, He desires that we trust Him with His protection.  We have free will to choose where we go and how we will get there, but if we are truly walking with the Lord, it will really be the Lord leading and us following.  We need to trust where God is leading us will be the best for us.

Will harm come to us if with are following the Lord and being protected by Him?  Not in the same way as if we were running through life without Him.  Our understanding of it will be different.  It won’t be a self-centered, poor-is-me; it’s the end of the world as we know it attitude, but the attitude of Christ, knowing that there is a greater-than-now time coming.  Hebrews  12:2 says “keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God's throne.” Our attitude needs to be that of Christ, understanding that if we are following God and allowing His protection, we won’t be focused on today’s trouble. It will pale in comparison to that one day, when we will be in the presence of God.


It’s a little bit longer that a normal R&R, but thanks for sticking it out.  Have a great, blessed day.  
  
Check out my website at http://georgebrettcards.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment